Monday, October 24, 2011

Danny Marble and the Application for Non-Scary Things by Jessica McHugh









Danny Marble and the Application for Non-Scary Things is the first book I've read from Jessica McHugh, but it certainly won't be my last. From the first page I was intrigued, and could instantly relate to Danny Marble. I know my nightmares aren't real, but that doesn't make them any less terrifying. Also, I know the burden they can cause others, so it is best to tuck them away and deal with them on your own. The imagery is captivating and I am devouring it like the moon did the cow. As if his home problems aren't bad enough, his school problems are just as bad with constant mockery and bullying from his peers. Danny’s three scary things are very real and so is his bullying arch-nemesis Edmond Gray. The only thing positive in his world of grey is Jenna Vale. I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I will just say this: A dream sends him to another world which is masterfully blended with Greek mythology. Danny Marble goes on the ultimate hero’s journey without the nasty downfall of hubris. I would recommend this to kids of any age and the kid in all of us. I will be keeping my eyes open for more Jessica McHugh books. 




No comments:

Post a Comment