Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Author Interview: Brea Essex




Glad to have you on my blog, tell everyone a bit about yourself.

My name is Brea Essex. I’m 29, married, and I live in California. I’m a former Medical Assistant and I’m currently back in school studying English.

Has writing always been a passion of yours, or did you discover it at a later age?

I’ve been saying that I’ve been writing since I was ten. However, my mother recently reminded me that I was making up stories with my spelling words when I was eight. So, I suppose that’s when the writing bug bit me.

Do you outline or write as you go?

I do a little of both. I write a basic outline and then have at it. My first drafts are always quite messy. I tend to write out of order and then tie things together.

What inspires you?

Lots of things: music, movies, nature, friends . . . the list goes on.

Do you get inspired by a certain element (Water. Fire. Air. Etc)?

I’d have to say water. I love going to the ocean. In fact, one of my series is set in a coastal town that I used to live in.

Do you listen to music or multitask while writing?

I absolutely multitask! I listen to music a lot of the time when I write. I have a playlist for each book/series I work on.

What is your favorite genre, and least favorite?

My favorite genre is epic fantasy, and has been since I was thirteen. I also really love YA paranormal, which is what I mainly write. Least favorite? I’d have to say horror, but only because scary book/movies give me horrible nightmares.

Who are among your favorite authors?

David Eddings is my all-time favorite author. I also love Jennifer Roberson, CS Lewis, Kelley Armstrong, Richelle Mead . . . this is another list that could go on forever!

What is your favorite piece you’ve written, and what is it about?

I actually really like everything I’ve written, even though my character might send me into fits while I’m writing! My current favorite is my WIP, OUROBOROS. It’s a YA urban fantasy about a necromancer and a demon hunter.
Let’s change things up:

What is a hidden talent of yours?

I love anything artistic. I like to sew, crochet, make jewelry, etc.

Do you have any animals?

Yes. I have three cats and a dog.

Favorites:

TV shows

I love Friends and Gilmore Girls. Currently airing favorites include The Vampire Diaries, Being Human, Being Erica (a Canadian show) and Merlin (a British show). I also love anime, especially Sailor Moon and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Movies

The Prestige, Easy A, Legally Blonde, Breakfast At Tiffany’s, Pride and Prejudice, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and pretty much anything with Hugh Jackman!

Books

The Belgariad and The Mallorean series by David Eddings, The Chronicles of the Cheysuli by Jennifer Roberson, The Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong, the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

Animal

Cats. Always cats. If we’re talking fantasy creatures here, I’d say dragons.

Color

Teal and emerald green.

And last but not least, tell us all about your upcoming novel.

I’m currently working on two series, The Shadow Imperium series and the Zayin Chronicles. Here are the blurbs for the first novels of each series:

FORESHADOW (Book One of The Shadow Imperium):
Imagine discovering that your boyfriend was out to kill you—and that the annoying boy from school was your guardian angel.

Rae Davenport has already lost her mother.  The only thing keeping her sane is her new boyfriend, Andrei—that is, until she finds out that he wants to kill her.  Andrei is a devil, and he wants to use Rae as a sacrifice to get back into Heaven.  The only one who can save her is Logan, her guardian angel.  He’s only annoyed her in the past, but now he will be her savior.

OUROBOROS (Book One of The Zayin Chronicles):
Imagine waking up in the hospital to find someone in your room that only you could see.
When seventeen-year-old Rhiannon wakes from a coma after a rock-climbing accident, she finds a strange guy in her room.  He seems to be invisible to everyone—and he needs her help.
Zac is a Zayin, one of an elite fighting team.  The problem is:  he’s dead.  He needs Rhiannon’s help to find his body so he can stop the self-proclaimed Prince of Death—The Necrovorst. Can they stop The Necrovorst before he unleashes his demons and destroys the world?

Contact information:


Twitter: @BreaEssex






 Also, Brea has just informed me that her novel Foreshadow was picked up last week by Astraea Press!

No comments:

Post a Comment