Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Author Interview: Devyn Dawson




Glad to have you on my blog, tell everyone a bit about yourself. -- I’m a ninja writer that poses as a mother and wife. My cape is invisible and I don’t announce my mind reading superpower or my lightening fast cat like reflexes. I’m entering my rock star stage of life since I quit my day job to write full time. I no longer have to be main-stream so I wear feathers in my hair and opt for jeans and t-shirt over business suit and stuffy bosses.

Has writing always been a passion of yours, or did you discover it at a later age? Writing has always been a passion but so is my family. I’ve always started books and lost steam at some point and would scrap the story. I’m facing empty nest and have decided to follow my dream… I wouldn’t consider myself later age.

Do you outline or write as you go? I outline my stories now. It helps to stay focused and to know how the story will end. I’m also open to changing the story midstream if I believe it will enhance the end outcome.

What inspires you? When I’m outside, either on the motorcycle or walking my dog(s) I come up with scenes that I may have been stuck on.

Do you get inspired by a certain element(Water. Fire. Air. Etc)? The moon - I love seeing the moon through my treetops. There is usually an owl sitting in a tree and bats flying around - I find it nice and spooky. It is rumored there is a bear that lives behind my property line and has been seen walking in my cul-de-sac and cutting between my house and the neighbor’s house.

Do you listen to music or multitask while writing? I’m extremely A..D.D. - I find it easier to write when no one else is in the house. I like silence and my cat sits with me through every word.

What are your favorite genre, and least favorite? I love young adult and paranormal books. I’ve never read a western but I’m guessing I wouldn’t appreciate it that much.

Who are among your favorite authors? Edgar Allen Poe, J.K. Rowling (I get teary eyed every time I see an interview with her), Richelle Mead, Stephenie Meyer, Kelley Armstrong and Deborah & James Howe (I adored Bunnicula)

What is your favorite piece you’ve written, and what is it about? I’ve written a lot of poetry about my mother’s death - I’ll never share it with the world but it has been very therapeutic.

Let’s change things up:

What is a hidden talent of yours? I can turn a marshmallow inside out.

Do you have any animals? I have 8 pets = 4 dogs two of them have a form of muscular dystrophy and are very handicapped (they are black labs)… 2 birds…. 2 cats.. one of them have a Facebook account Nosey Chattercat… he is snarky and despises the dogs.

Favorites:

TV shows - I watch every vampire show (True Blood, Being Human, Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf) I also adore American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance.

Movies - Harry Potter movies & anything with Bruce Willis or Will Smith


Books - Anything young adult or paranormal


Color Purple

And last but not least, tell us all about your upcoming novel. I just released ‘The Legacy of Kilkenny’ in June, you can find it on Barnes and Noble, Amazon or Smashwords.
After an incredibly boring summer, Abel Casey was looking forward to his junior year at Piedsville High School in his little town outside of Oklahoma City. But once he sees Pru Phelan, the gorgeous girl with the shiny red hair and piercing grey eyes he knows he is in for trouble. Abel’s boring little life is about to come to an end if Pru has her way. The stunning Pru has a secret to share with Abe, one that will change his life forever. Up until recently werewolf packs have been looking for the Great Wolf, a wolf of legend handed down over hundreds of years from Kilkenny Ireland. Her secret is she is a werewolf, and her secret is now his too. Abel learns that all the tales of werewolves and vampires is real and he is the wolf they have been searching for. To protect his destiny and his family the pack begins training him for his first shift, without a hold on to his humanity can cause him to shift to a werewolf and never return to his human form.

Abel is torn between the family he has grown up with and the pack that claims he is the one of Celtic lore. Pru’s mentor and bodyguard Oakley is the one that her heart craves but she fears he has feelings for her friend Josie. Pru’s father the alpha wants her to stay focused on her assignment and forbids the two from becoming lovers and he threatens to remove Oakley from the pack if Pru can’t stay focused. Everything is going as planned until Abel’s sassy and moody sister Allie starts hanging out with an aggravating vampire Arien. Arien knows the pack’s secret and plans to expose them if he doesn’t get his way. This story of friendship, family, love and betrayal will leave the reader breathless and someone dead.

The Legacy of Kilkenny an incredible journey for these young adults. The reader will be drawn into this romantic yet invigorating story of friends and lovers. The prophecy has been stated, now it will be lived.




No comments:

Post a Comment