Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Author Interview: Catherine Stovall


Glad to have you on my blog Catherine, tell everyone a bit about yourself.


 
I’m very excited to be a guest here. My name is Catherine Stovall. I’m pretty much your average jack of all trades. I am the mom of three beautiful children all the time, I manage an office during the day, and I am an author by night. My first book, Stolen, will be releasing the end of this year.

Has writing always been a passion of yours, or did you discover it at a later age?
Writing has always been a passion for me. I wrote my first short story when I was eleven years old and I just never stopped. If I were unable to write, I think it would be the same as not breathing.

Do you outline or write as you go?
I make outlines but the final product is always completely different. As my characters develop, they tend to take the story to places I never dreamed of.

What inspires you?
Everything is an inspiration but my family and music play the biggest part. I love to ask the members of my fan page for music suggestions. I always get a huge response and then they get to go to the webpage and see the songs that they helped me choose on the playlist for each of the novels. The feedback and great new music selection always inspires my best work.

Do you get inspired by a certain element(Water. Fire. Air. Etc)?Unfortunately, storms tend to inspire me but I always lose electricity and the laptop battery never lasts.
 
Do you listen to music or multitask while writing?
I try not to let myself get distracted by other tasks when I write. That’s really difficult with a house full of kids and pets though. That’s where the music comes in. I always write with my iPod securely fastened to my ears.

What is your favorite genre, and least favorite?
I don’t have a favorite. My taste is extremely eclectic. My least favorite is definitely romance novels. I just can’t get over the exaggerated style.

Who are among your favorite authors?
Anne Rice is my all time favorite. I also adore Charles Dickens, Stephen King, Emily Bronte, and Anne Bishop.

What is your favorite piece you’ve written, and what is it about?
Oh, that is tough, like trying to pick a favorite child out of all your offspring.
I have to say that the first short story I wrote will always be very special to me. It was about a woman, Shelia, who takes a solo vacation in the mountains to escape the pressures of her business. Once there, she begins having nightmares about a ghostly little girl and a music box. She wakes up covered in scratches and realizes that it wasn't a dream. Shelia quickly realizes that she is in danger. The song from the music box is playing over and over in her head and the nightly possessions are getting worse. She can’t even escape the mountain until the supply plane arrives a week later. Shelia fights the possession and destroys the music box the night before the plane arrives. Thinking she won the battle and more than ready to go back to her hectic normal life, Shelia asks the pilot to take her back down the mountain. He agrees and turns to introduce the other passenger. To Shelia’s horror, it is the ghostly little girl and her music box.
 
Let’s change things up:
 
What is a hidden talent of yours?
I don’t know that I have a hidden talent. I’m pretty outgoing so everyone knows that I write, sketch, take photographs, and a variety of other things.

Do you have any animals?
I have a rescue terrier mix named Rocky who we have had for about 5 ½ years and a rescued cat named Sophie who we thought was a girl last year when we got him. He surprised us by being a boy.

Favorites:

TV shows:I rarely watch television. I use that quiet time when everyone else is watching to write.

Movies
Interview with a Vampire, Some Like it Hot, Domino, Casa Blanca, Labyrinth, Basketball Diaries, Candy Man 1 & 2, and well anything Stephen King.

AuthorsCharles Dickens, Anne Rice, Anne Rule, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Anne Bishop, and Cassandra Clare.

Books
The Immortal Instrument Series, Black Jewels Series, War and Peace, The Iron Dragon's Daughter, Wuthering Heights, anything by Anne Rice, Zoya, Wicked, and Dracula

Animal
I couldn’t choose a favorite. I use to be very big into exotics though and I would love to have another Boa Constrictor.

Color
Black and Red. I know how gothic of me but they are my favorites.

And last but not least, tell us all about your upcoming novel.
Stolen is the first book in the Requiem of Humanity Series. It will be releasing the end of this year via Untreed Reads. It’s the first piece I have ever attempted to publish because it really captured me heart and soul. The book is all about two high school girls and some very wicked vampires.
 
 Jenda and Soborgne are best friends and everything they do, they do together. Unfortunately, this time the girls may die together.  The girls are kidnapped and held captive by Belle and Matteo, two vampires with a plan. Belle, a sociopath in life and death, is searching for an heir to her reign as the only vampire to hold the secret to surviving the sun. Matteo is a lost soul who would give anything to be loved and to see the light of day. 
 
As the four characters’ worlds collide, blood is spilled, lives are lost, and rules are broken. Disappointment in love and life bring out the worst in humans but with vampires, it leads to a chilling tale that will make you look under your bed before you close your eyes and then dream of falling in love with a medieval fiend.




 
Contact information.

No comments:

Post a Comment