Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jason E Maurer

 This interview is for one of my very best friends Jason E. Maurer. 




Glad to have you on my blog Jason, tell everyone a bit about yourself.  
I never know what to say about myself :-/


Has writing always been a passion of yours, or did you discover it at a later age?
 I've been writing since I was probably about 11 or 12.  It just sort of happened, one day I picked up a laptop and started this ridiculous fantasy.  It has evolved from there.


Do you outline or write as you go?  
In my opinion it's easier to write as I go, create the characters and evolve the story as needed.


What inspires you?  
Everything has the potential for inspiration.  Family, friends, stories you hear from others, dreams, etc.


Do you get inspired by a certain element(Water. Fire. Air. Etc)?  
That's a great question! I've found that if I'm in the middle of a forest, in beautiful Mother Nature, I can write and write and write. I have this secret spot where I can go for ultimate seclusion, near a small waterfall.  It always inspires me and gets my creative juices flowing.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a distance away, so my visits there are seldom.


Do you listen to music or multitask while writing? 
 For certain stories, I've used music as inspiration.  One of my darker stories revolves around the emotions I've felt from one of my favorite songs.  I've found that playing classical music [Mozart's "Moonlight Sonata" for example] helps the creative process immensely.  If I'm seriously writing, as opposed to just adding random bits and pieces to a work in progress, I usually turn off everything except my music because I don't like distractions.


What is your favorite genre, and least favorite? 
 I enjoy anything, if it's a good read.  I've written a variety of genres, as well.  It all depends upon my mood at the moment.


Who are among your favorite authors?  There are so many amazing authors out there, but my ultimate favorite is Dean Koontz.  His novels never fail to make me think about the world in which we live.  I also like Anne Rice, and of course J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter. I'll read anything if the synopsis sounds good. And of course T.R. Stoddard! [I snuck that one in there, but he actually said it was true. What a great friend!]

What is your favorite piece you’ve written, and what is it about?  
I would have to say my most recent, "Haunted Mind, Confused Heart", because it was a direction I've been leary of going.  It's about a psychotic killer who thinks he will one day rule the world, and the horrors he unleashes on the women he thought of as "girlfriends".

Let’s change things up:


What is a hidden talent of yours? 
 I can tie a cherry stem with my tongue, does that count?


Do you have any animals?  
I used to have a Pug [jack russel/pug mix] but I gave him to a friend because I couldn't keep him after I moved to a smaller place.


Favorites:


TV shows  NCIS, Fringe, The Closer, The Middle, Drop Dead Diva, Glee, Rizzoli & Isles, House.


Movies  I would have to say "Titanic", because I've seen it well over 100 times.


Books  There are several that come to mind: Anything by the authors I previously mentioned, as well as "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver, "The Dogs of Babel" by Carolyn Parkhurst, "The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams, among many, many others.

Animal  Panda, koala, white tigers.


Color  Burgundy


And last but not least, tell us all about your upcoming novel.  
That's difficult to say.  There are several stories I've had in the works, off and on for several years.  You'll just have to wait and see! ;-) 






Contact information  itzjem@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment